Pages

Friday, February 25, 2005

Friday Night Hamming

After some work I got UI-View set up on what can be a full-time radio, antenna and computer.

Made a couple test messages and a lot of beacons. I'm pretty happy now. I learned to make a scratch map by looking for Oklahoma bit-maps on the Internet. Maybe I'll try my hand at scanning my own road maps later. It's not easily to know the positions of the edges of your map, and how the "any 2 points" function worked wasn't immediately obvious.

I got cables and rig blaster setup to the point I realized I only had one serial port on this computer, and it was being used by the TNC. So, I'll have to investigate USB-serial adapters.

I tried AGWPE and while it installed okay and detected my PK-12 on COM1, it didn't go into KISS mode correctly. But I was able to put in into KISS mode manually from Hyperterminal, so it's not the TNC. I'll have to use the AGWPE in its soundcard mode I guess. I hear Winlink 2000 supports it. I wanted to set up the necessary software to accept email from any Ham in the coverage of the BA digi and direct it into the Internet via cable modem.

Now, who wants to meet up on the TARC UHF linked system and chat while experimenting with an APRS net on 144.390 ? Remember, the BAARC net meets Mondays 2000 on 146.91.

73
Scott

1 comment:

Stan(KE5LEP) said...

KE5LEP

Scott I bought 2 usb to serial adapters from the Wholesale Computer Supply at 5727 S. Garnett.

The Phone number for that store is 250 7283. I think that they cost about $25.00