Pages

Monday, April 06, 2009

More Book News: Digital Apollo

I got a Borders gift card from my relatives for my birthday. It didn't take long to check the email for a coupon and get the card emptied out pronto.

Digital Apollo is a book about the history and background behind the Apollo Guidance Computer.

I'm looking forward to checking this out in greater detail. Some time ago, Eldon Hall wrote a book called Journey to the Moon from the AIAA press. It was really good and showed how the AGC had its origins in the Polaris missile and other clever, simple machines like Bush's Differential Analyser.

I'll get into it later, but the AGC has been "resurrected" in both computer simulators and homebrewed hardware...

more to follow...

73
Scott
KD5NJR

2 comments:

Brad said...

You've probably already seen this, but NASA has a site called The Apollo Lunar Surface Journal. Tons of pictures, original communications audio, flight plans, full transcripts of flight communications (including Apollo 13 - that's fun).

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/frame.html

Brad
WA5PSA

KD5NJR said...

Thanks for the prompt comment Brad.

I've seen the ALSJ. It's great stuff. My favorite is the A15 mission to Hadley Rille. There are a lot of resources on the computer systems: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a15/a15.html

73
Scott